
Leo Tolstoy(1828-1910)
Greatest achievements cannot be defined..no they can't be.Life has just its ways of redefining your success every single time,so when one says that he has achieved the biggest success of his life,it means he has not yet come in terms of his highest capacity or God's power.Man may feel his exhilarating pull of achievement as his fruit.But the truth is..his real achievement is the Labour ofLove.
Reading Tolstoy lately,one of the most characteristic dimension of his work that i felt, was his simplicity in reaffirming the most important lessons of life.Truth,Compassion,Faith,Kindness,and above all the ever existence of Love in every form and aspect,is every human's very essence of leading a happy & a peaceful life,and this is what the great man that he was, has preached through his works.How one can lead his life in the most happiest terms is not attainable through mere monetary gains but by living a life of virtue that comes only through good deeds.Good deeds where humanity is one's strength and compassion one's force.
Sadly,today the world seems to have lost all that compassion in itself..where the earth is marred by forces of hatred and disgust..where the sanctity of life lies in being the most powerful amongst all..we live in the dread that being compassionate might just be our last chance at being alive.Harsh but true..it is this reality that we don't want to accept but have to abide by in our lives.It is not in our options to show concern anymore,worse..it's considered insanity to show true concern as it is termed as digging one's own grave!Guess the survival instinct has gone too high to care about human life anymore.
I find that Tolstoy's work is too moralistic. I remember having read Anna Karenina when I was twelve, and I think my sense of ethics come from there.
ReplyDeleteWhich book are you reading, currently?
I've been reading some of his short stories lately,but somewhere i agree that what Tolstoy says is difficult to follow in our times but then he cuts a very straight path to satisfied happiness.Have u read War & Peace?I haven't but was planning to pick it up.
ReplyDeleteI have! That totally shaped the last two years of my life.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, his idea of ethics and compassion are so ideal you want to believe them. But then you end up like me. :|
I used to have a beautiful copy of War and Peace, lost it while moving. :(
so i pick it up!!thanks so so much!!:D
ReplyDeleteu get btr and btr wid every blog...:D(SMRITI)
ReplyDelete